Monday, August 20, 2012

Magical Meatloaf

I mentioned on Twitter that I should have taken photos of the meatloaf process.  That way, I could turn this post into this pathetic Pioneer Woman rip off post with poor quality cell phone photos of raw meat and my dirty kitchen. But I'm nicer than that. I'll only give you the recipe (with my commentary) and one finished product photo. You're welcome.

Meatloaf is dirty y'all. You gotta get your hands in there and not be scared of raw meat or eggs..or dijon mustard that you would never EVER eat normally. You gotta just go with it. 

I'm going to give you a secret recipe. Secret in that it is in a published cookbook that you can buy in Marble Falls, Texas at the Bluebonnet Cafe. But most of you will never ever go to Marble Falls, Texas. You really should though..Texas hill country, lakes, etc. Very nice place

So, here's the recipe...get ready.

For the meatloaf:
2 lbs. (85%) lean ground beef
1 T. butter
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chicken broth
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. unflavored powdered gelatin
1/4c. tomato juice
1 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. dried parsley
3/4 dried thyme *It doesn't say 3/4 of WHAT, it just says 3/4, so I just throw some in*
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
2/3 c. crushed saltine crackers
1 c. grated Monterey jack cheese (I use shredded, no big)

Ok, pause. I KNOW this looks like a lot. It totally is, BUT, you get into a rhythm.
Start by preheating your oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and and place a rectangular cooling rack on top. Then place another piece of foil ont he cooling rack and poke drain holes in it. poke holes in it. For this, I just use my broiler pan, line it with foil and poke some holes in it. This pan eventually needs to go into the broiler, so if you have a gas oven like me, the broiler is on the bottom! The first time I made this, I had to transfer from a baking sheet onto the broiler pan, and that sucked. You can figure out what works best for you.

Next step, chop up the onions and celery (I use a slapchop thing by Pampered chef so they get nice and tiny because I don't want chunks) and then saute them in the tablespoon of butter in a pan, but don't brown them too much. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl (not really that large), pour in the chicken broth and beaten eggs, sprinkle the unflavored powder gelatin on top and allow to stand 5 minutes. Then add the remaining ingredients along with the sauteed onions and celery. I just mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, then add to the meat in a bigger bowl. You are going to need a big-ish bowl to really mix everything together well. Form a nice looking (not really) meatloaf, about 2 inches high, smooth the top and sides with a spatula (who cares what it looks like??) and cook for about an hour.

Here is what makes this meatloaf!!
The glaze!
Ingredients for the glaze:
1/2 c. ketchup
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce (more or less depending on how much heat you like)
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
3 T. packed brown sugar

Put this all into a small saucepan on the stove when there is about 5 minutes left and cook this until it is a little thick and syrupy. It WILL stink a little, but that's because of the vinegar. Get over it, it's so worth it. When the meatloaf is done in the oven, turn your broiler on. Pour the glaze over the meatloaf and put it under the broiler for about 5-10 minutes, or until you see it all bubble and browning on the edges. Let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting it.

Now there is a "sauce" as part of the recipe, but I have never once made it. It doesn't need it! I usually serve this with mashed potatoes and a veggie. The potatoes are good because it's tasty to get the glaze on them a little.

The sauce is something you are supposed to kinda serve on the side of it, or something like that, I don't really know. It's not needed, but I'm nice so I'll include it.

Ingredients for the sauce:
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1 15 oz. can chopped stewed tomatoes
1 to 2 T. beef base
1 c. water
1 tsp. garlic powder

Saute the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan until mixture is thick and bubbly. Serve along with the meatloaf. It's so boring, right? Don't even bother!

Somebody please make this and report back. It really is so good. It's moist, it's meaty, it's delicious! We usually make at least 1 1/2 of the recipe so Steve can eat meatloaf sandwiches for awhile, plus we always take some to my mom.

Oh here's the picture of the final product, minus the sauce. Steve likes to make extra glaze so it's all over the place, but usually there isn't this much of the glaze around the edges.

The picture does not do it justice.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have you know that I have been to THAT VERY CAFE. And now I would like to try THAT VERY MEATLOAF.

    ReplyDelete