Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013: A Good Year

Someone said this on Twitter the other day, that everyone seems to have had a shitty 2013, but hers was not all that bad. Mine wasn't either! Now we are waiting for the inevitable bad shit to happen. Let's hope 2014 doesn't bring me one of those years. I haven't done a yearly wrap up before, but 2013 was a big year, so let's start now!

Warning: Lots of wedding and pregnancy talk ahead. It was what dominated my year, sorry! 

What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
  • I got married.
  • I went on a honeymoon.
  • I got in a shark cage under water.
  • I got pregnant.
  • I was told to gain weight. (That has TOTALLY never happened before!)
Lightning the candle while the harpist played "Can't Help Falling in Love"

In Hawaii

Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make a resolution last year, but I usually don't anyway. This year, I'd like to work on eating out less, therefore saving money. Money that will then be spent on a baby. I'd also like to work on making/maintaining less clutter in my house. If I can just keep flat surfaces semi-clear, I think that will be a big step.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin had a baby in January and some lovely Internet Ladies had babies. 


Did anyone close to you die?
Lots of people died that I know, or know of, but nobody super close to me. That's what happens when you work at the funeral home in your home town. I "know" a lot of the people that die, or I know the family. The only funeral I attended as a guest and not an employee, though, was for my mom's cousin.


What countries did you visit?
I didn't visit any foreign countries in 2013. The longest distance traveled was to Hawaii for our honeymoon. I haven't traveled outside the U.S. since 2005. I think my passport expired and I need to change my name on it anyway.

What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
I would like to have a baby in 2014, and if all goes according to plan, I will. There wasn't much I felt was lacking in 2013.


What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February dates of PJs at TJs because it was just so much more fun this year than last year, ONLY because I was so scared the first year. I had never met anyone from the internet and this year was so much more relaxed (me) and I felt like I already knew most of the people. I was much more comfortable. I can't wait until February when I will meet even more fabulous ladies and I can only assume my third trip will be even better.
May 31 was the day Steve and I got married (even though it says May 30 on our marriage license; that's what you get for having an elderly minister marry you.)
October 8 was the day I got my positive pregnancy test.
November 1 we heard the baby's heartbeat.


What was your biggest achievement of the year?
See references to fetus above.
Tiny fetus waving.



What was your biggest failure?
 I didn't do a good job of paying off my credit cards. I don't even have a lot of debt on them, I just had this quasi-goal of paying them off before we got pregnant. I was SO close early in the year, but then the honeymoon and wedding expenses popped up and yeah, that didn't work. I have stuck to my plan for not using them, so that's helping.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not much illness except a cold and the regular migraines that I've had every year since I was in elementary school. The first trimester of pregnancy had me feeling run down and queasy for a few months, but never horrible and only once did I vomit. So yay!


What was the best thing you bought?
Sure, I could say ultrasounds, wedding rings, or Hawaii plane tickets, but really: my new washer and dryer. I love them.


Whose behavior merited celebration?
Steve's. He has just embraced this married, father-to-be role. Not once when I have asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at 11pm has he told me no. He also kisses my belly every night (even if I have to remind him and say when you come kiss the baby bring me a snack) and he has just been so excited. When we were lying in bed on his birthday in October, he said "if you would have told me 15 years ago that on my 38th birthday, I'd be married, living in the suburbs, working in management, with a dog and a baby on the way, I would have laughed in your face. But I'm the happiest I've ever been." I mean, you guys. He's just the best. He totally had to make fun of me for crying at the first ultrasound because HE was about to get emotional.
He really is the best.


Scuba Steve!


Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I could answer with the same answer for the last 8 years or so. My brother. He has chosen a path that has taken him away from his son and our family. We have given him every opportunity to get help for his addictions and actions, yet he chooses to act the way he does. It's easier to just not think about it because it will bum me out. The best thing he ever did was accidentally give me my nephew. I don't see him as much as I used to or I would like, but we have always had a special relationship. I will always be his Mimi. His new thing is texting me from his Kindle and it's hilarious.

My buddy



Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, car payment, food, the usual boring adult stuff.


What did you get really excited about?
See above answers re: baby. Sorry, I warned you. Specifically, telling our families. This will be the first grandchild for Steve's parents and I just can't wait. When we told them, which was by giving his dad a birthday gift of "World's Greatest Grandpa" hat, his dad had to excuse himself because he was getting so emotional. I also got really excited about my wedding and finally making it official! We have been together forever, and man it is so nice to say he is my HUSBAND. I feel like such a grown up.


What song will always remind you of 2013?
Oh geez I don't know. I don't even listen to new music anymore.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
  • Happier or sadder? Happier. I wasn't sad last year, but I just have a lot more to look forward to this year.
  • Thinner or fatter? Thinner, but working on fattening up!
  • Richer or poorer? About the same. Trying to change what we spend our money on.
What do you wish you’d done more of?
Interacting with my Internet friends. I feel like I missed out on a lot this year but most of that is because there are a lot more restrictions on my internet action at work. Also, I am so much busier at work, so I don't have as much down time to chat. And Steve gets annoyed when I am on my phone a lot, so I try to be good when we are watching tv or hanging out at night and ignore my phone.

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complaining and whining. I think Steve would be happier if I stopped doing that.

How did you spend Christmas?
On the 23rd, we went to my dad's house and had pizza and exchanged gifts. On Christmas Eve morning, I took my nephew to my mom's house and we had breakfast and exchanged gifts there. After relaxing for a bit, we all went to my cousin's house where we celebrated with my mom's side of the family. We had good food and fun times with all of the kids. Then we went home and Steve's parents and sister arrived at our house. They spent the night and we enjoyed a Christmas Day of hanging out in our sweatpants, cooking a good Christmas dinner, and exchanging gifts. It was a nice way to get in time with all parts of the family in a relaxing way.


Did you fall in love in 2013?
Not with anyone I didn't already love.


What was your favorite TV program?
I'm trying to remember what we watched this year. Masters of Sex, Orange is the New Black, Modern Family, and Big Bang Theory. Those are the shows we regularly watch together. 


Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope


What was the best book you read?
This year was a bad year in book reading. I just didn't do enough at all. I used to just motor through books at an alarming rate, but I had trouble even finding the time to read this year.


What was your greatest musical discovery?
Nerd Alert! The new Garth Brooks box set thingy has him singing Motown and classic rock songs. I kind of love it.


What did you want and get?
A lovely wedding where all of the guests had a great time; an enjoyable, relaxing honeymoon; and pregnant.


What did you want and not get?
Lottery winnings? I don't know.

What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't even tell you what movies I saw this year.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28. Shit, I can't even remember what we did. I know Steve got me diamond earrings.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
 A cleaning crew that would just keep my house free of dog hair and clutter. One of these days, I will have a cleaning crew or lady. I WILL.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
For work: Black and white
For non work: jeans, canvas sneakers and striped shirts


What kept you sane?
My husband. He says I don't brag about him enough like he does me. But really, I should. I am so lucky that I have someone who likes to do what I do, who is content ordering a pizza and watching the Rockets game on the couch in our sweatpants. Rarely does he put up a fight for anything, unless it's yet ANOTHER social gathering he is obligated to attend for my huge family. Also, I have discovered the joy of hot baths.

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I need to reevaluate my List. I haven't updated it. I greatly enjoy Zac Brown, though.


What political issue stirred you the most?
Nope.

Who did you miss?
I miss my sister. I don't get to see her as much as I'd like. I can talk to her about anything and I miss that. We go too long without talking, too. She is just so busy running a business and it's hard to get time off to go visit.
She's the hippo, I'm the caterpillar.



Who was the best new person you met?
I met my mom's boyfriend, finally! I'm going to say he is the best new one because he has been SO good for my mom. Yes, it was weird (very) to see my mom being all flirty with someone. She actually was MARRIED to this man for a very short time in the late 70s before I was even a glimmer in her eye. She has said he was the love of her life. (Let's ignore the fact that it is weird to hear your mom say that about someone who is not your father.) He has the means to spoil her and she so deserves that. He has gotten her to break out of her comfort zone, literally. She used to hang out in her robe and pjs at night and now he takes her out to dinner, they drink wine, he takes her for rides on his Harley, and she is just happier. It's so great to see that. His big coming out was at Christmas (I had only met him a few weeks prior) and it was great. Our extended family was happy to welcome him back to the family. She even has been spending more time hanging out with her sister and her husband, they double date and everything. It's so cute! He is planning on taking her to his house in Costa Rica for her 60th birthday in February and man if that's just not the best thing to hear. He also said we need to come vacation at his house, which ok, fine, I'll go to your beautiful home on the beach in Costa Rica, TWIST MY ARM.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
 This is something my mom always says and I have had to start embracing it. Your time is worth something! Basically, killing yourself mowing and edging your yard for four hours is crazy when you can pay someone $30 to do it and have it done in 20 minutes. I just need to embrace that mentality and hire someone to clean the house. Maybe once the baby is born we can do that

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Nope.



My hopes for 2014 are for a happy, healthy family and no drama and little stress. Surely that's not asking too much, right? I don't know if I'll get that lucky again, but I can hope. Happy New Year, friends!






3 comments:

  1. I am such a dork, I almost waved back at the picture of your fetus :)

    One of the things I definitely plan to change this year is to stop being so wrapped up in my own life/problems and to be a better friend. Whenever I think about my internet friendships, I get a little pang about how I have totally dropped the ball on our friendship. I just want you to know that I think about you and I am SO HAPPY for you and SO EXCITED about your amazing 2013. Fresh start in 2014? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meggles! I am so happy for you, reading about your lovely year, and I can't wait to see you next month. I miss you desperately in my gchat window, but I'm proud of your work ethic and such, I guess, damn. Also, scuba Steve cracked my shit up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be the lamest thing ever, but I seriously am sitting here grinning at the screen & tearing up a bit like a complete loon. Your happiness just radiates through everything you've written, and I'm just so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete